Leave the highlands, reach the plains around Sebaco, and continue west towards the pacific part of Nicaragua. On the way enjoy stunning views to the Maribios range of volcanoes: First, the Momotombo, on your left: then, Cerro Negro and others; later, Telica and its enormous crater on your right (all active!).
Momotombo, Telica and Cerro Negro active volcanoes
Stop at San Jacinto, a small rural village located in between volcanoes. There observe another volcanic phenomenon, the boiling mud and thermal waters; these are geysers coming out of the earth. Please note that a guide (local or our guide) is mandatory for the visit, as the terrain is not solid and new, boiling geysers come out of the earth all the time.
San Jacinto Boiling Muds
Arrive in Leon, Accommodation in your hotel la Posada de Doña Blanca 2* or el Convento 3* sup in the center of the city.
Originally located in a different place, the city of Léon was rebuilt at its actual location after an eruption of the Momotombo volcano destroyed the city, on the shores of Lake Managua. It’s been the capital of Nicaragua for around 200 years until Managua was named as the capital. The oldest university is located in Leon, still the intellectual capital of Nicaragua. one of the oldest colonial cities in Central America.
In the afternoon go for a city tour of Leon, its huge cathedral, the most complete art gallery of Central America and old churches. Free evening and night in Leon, very lively city.
Day 5: Leon – Managua - Caribbean Coast - Corn Island (B)
Leave the hotel in the morning, drive south until you reach Managua and the international airport. Take a 2pm flight to Corn Island. Accommodation in your hotel Arenas Beach 3*/in a bungalow located, right in front of the water.
Day 6: Corn Island (B)
Free time at Corn Island. Optional activities available: visit to Little Corn, fishing, boat rides, beach, snorkeling and diving. Nights in your hotel Arenas Beach 3*.
In Corn Island
Day 7: Corn Island-Managua- Granada (B)
Fly back to Managua, in the mid afternoon. Transfer to Granada, the jewel of Nicaraguan cities. Accommodation at hotel Kekoldi 2* or Patio del Malinche 2* sup. Free evening in Granada.
Granada is the oldest colonial city in the Americas, founded by the Spanish in 1524. Touring Granada will transport us back to the colonial times, with its classical and neo-classical buildings, its horse-drawn carriages!
Day 8: Granada- Boat tour in Lake Nicaragua & Isletas (B, L)
Morning at leisure to wander in Nicaragua’s most beautiful city.
Optional activities: Adventures in Mombacho nature reserve:
*Excursion to Mombacho volcano, natural reserve with a cloud forest, a very nicely designed trail circles around one of the craters.
*Canopy Tour/zip lines: Get ready to climb and swing through trees!! This tour offers you an unforgettable experience sliding down from tree to tree through seventeen platforms and bridges very safely built, overlooking the coffee plantations. It takes around 2 hours to experience this unique activity.
Around Midday we’ll drive to Lake Nicaragua. First, enjoy a delicious typical lunch in a “palapa style” restaurant in front of the water, with beautiful views to Lake Nicaragua, the islands “Isletas” and the Mombacho cloud forest.
Then you will go for a Boat Ride and discover Lake Nicaragua and some of its 356 islands “isletas”, a must see. The islands “Isletas” were formed thousands years ago, after an eruption of nearby Mombacho volcano (now extinct). They are now covered with lush, tropical vegetation, some of them are inhabited by natives, others have vacation houses built on them, and others are still deserted. You will be able to observe some of the many species of tropical birds that live in the islands. The inhabitants (“Isleños”) live peacefully in simple yet decent conditions and dedicate themselves to fishing and small agriculture, and now to tourism too.
After the tour return to Granada, night at hotel Kekoldi 2* or Patio del Malinche 2* sup.
In the islands…
Day 9: Granada-Ometepe Island (B, D)
Transfer to San Jorge and then take a ferry to Ometepe Island, world largest volcanic island in a lake. Accommodation in your hotel Charco Verde 2* situated on the waterfront. In the afternoon you can discover the island or just relax at the beach. Dinner in the hotel.
In Ometepe Island
Day 10: Ometepe Island (B, D)
Free day in the island. Optional tours are available, like hiking in the rain forest, tour of the island and petroglyphs tour, see the petroglyphs or kayaking.
Dinner and overnight in your hotel.
Day 11: Ometepe-San Juan del Sur (B)
After breakfast, leave the hotel and the island. Go to San Juan del Sur, typical fishermen port located at the south west, 15 miles away from the border with Costa Rica. Time on your own to enjoy swimming in the Pacific Ocean. Accommodation at your hotel Colonial 2* or la Posada Azul 3*.
San Juan del Sur and beaches
Day 12: San Juan del Sur (B)
Day at leisure at the beach! Optional activities can be arranged, such as horseback riding, snorkeling tours. Canopy tours, sailboat tours or surf lessons. There is also a regular shared shuttles service that go to the beautiful beaches located north of San Juan, such as Maderas and Majagual.
Night at your hotel Colonial 2* or la Posada Azul 3*.
San Juan del Sur and surroundings
Day 13: San Juan del Sur – Masaya tour – Managua (B)
Leave the beach in the mid-morning, enjoy a tour in the Masaya area, on the way to Managua:
Then we will visit the finest Handicraft Market where you will enjoy the creativity and variety of Nicaraguan art at bargain prices. Later transfer to Catarina, this is a small and characteristic village of Nicaragua where people work seedling nurseries, make handcraft and raise horses. Placed on top of a hill at 520 meters over the sea level, present a very agreeable climate, the temperature is between 22 and 27 degrees, from here you can have a magnificent view of the Apoyo lagoon, Mombacho volcano, Granada and Lake Nicaragua. Then, we will go to San Juan de Oriente, famous for its ceramic arts. Visit a workshop (Mon-Fri), all items are handmade and the “know how” is transmitted from fathers to sons. Eventually, arrive back in Granada.
The Whites Towns: artisans and folklore
Then, continue to Masaya, start visiting the Nicaragua’s First National Park created in Nicaragua in 1979, one of Nicaragua's most interesting and beautiful natural phenomena. It comprises an area of 54 km2 with more than 20 km of scenic roads and trails, leading to and around the one impressive volcano and five formidable craters; one of them currently displays gaseous activity and incandescent lava in its interior. You can also visit the Museum that offer interesting history and legends.
Masaya Active Volcano
Arrive in Managua, accommodation in your hotel Camino Real 3* sup located close to the airport.
Day 14: Managua-Managua airport
Transfer to Managua int’l airport to reach your flight back to your country (hotel shuttle).
End of our Services.
Price per person based on ywo travelers sharing a double room: U$ pp (using the first hotels category) or U$ pp (using the upgraded category)
Note: this price is based on two persons traveling in the high season, except Christmas and Easter. For other seasons please contact us. Special offers apply in the low season.
If there are more than 2 travelers price decreases, please consult us.
Package Includes all the following:
- 2 nights in Managua
- 1 night in Leon
- 2 nights in Matagalpa
- 2 nights in Corn Island
- 2 nights in Granada
- 2 nights on Ometepe Island
- 2 nights in San Juan del Sur
As specified day per day (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch and D = Dinner). Drinks generally not included.
- All activities mentioned, with all respective entrances (tours and entrances in Managua, Chocolate tour, Coffee tour, Leon city tour, boat ride in Lake Nicaragua, entrances to Masaya national park and Catarina).
- All transportation in a/c vehicles (days 2, 3, 5, 7, 8 pm, 9, 11 and 13)
- Round trip flight Managua- Corn Island
- Transfer by shuttle on days 1 and 14.
- Private guide for tours (days 2, 8(pm), 13)
All taxes for hotels and restaurants
- Other activities suggested but not included
- Discretional tips
- All meals not included in the above list, drinks
- Taxes at the airport (entrance and exit, local and int’l)
- Quotations are based on all guests traveling at the same times and in the same vehicles. If different schedule(s) apply due to flights schedules or others, please let us know and we will send a new quote
- The scheduled visits and activities may be modified, according to opening days, local celebrations etc. If a scheduled visit cannot be operated at all we will refund the entrance fees or offer to do something else instead, according to possibilities.
- The schedules for local flights, ferries etc., may change without previous notices
- Breakfast on days of early departures is subject to hotel’s schedule for breakfasts and there is no refund possible.
- When breakfasts are included, they may be continental or full, according to the hotels.
- Driving times are approximate, can vary according to traffic and other factor
- Pick up can vary a few minutes’ when/if transfers or tours are shared.
- Some museums may charge a small fee if you wish to take pictures (to be paid onsite, not included)
- Transfers and tours can be operated individually or in small groups according to the days. If you require private services please let us know before you book and we will quote accordingly.
- For your safety, we do NOT operate long transfers in the night in the countryside, so all services should be finished by 6.30pm (exceptions are the night tour to Masaya national park and emergencies). Early starts are possible upon requests.
ALSO INCLUDED IN OUR PACKAGES:
- Packing list according to activities featured in your itinerary.
- List of suggested restaurant suggested for most areas visited.
- Our onsite support in English, Spanish and French, from start to finish, by email, phone, or at our office in Granada.
- List of general tips for your trip.